Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Weekend

We haven't had a Hawaiian Minute on this blog in a while. This weekend, I had about 840 of them as I attended my halau's annual hula and Tahitian dance workshop. We had participants from Tulsa, Dallas, Chicago, Indianapolis and we were so fortunate to have hula instruction from Kumu Hula Keali'i Ceballos of Halau Keali'i O Nalani, Tahitian dance instruction from Riki Liufau and her daughter Tiana from Nonosina Polynesia Inc., and Tahitian drumming from Derek Keil of Teriki's Polynesia. Believe me when I say that this was a big deal. It may have been snowy and cold outside, but inside the community college we had a little taste of the Pacific islands.

^^^ The beautiful ladies of Halau Hui Hula 'O Punahele.

^^^ All of the participants that had hula on Day 1 dancing "Ka Ua Kilihune," taught to us by Kumu Keali'i, danced as a tribute to my kumu, Dori. That's me in the bright pink and blue dress.

^^^ What an honor. Me with Kumu Keali'i Ceballos.

^^^ Girls in the Tahitian class. The ones in lime pareos are from my halau.

^^^ Tiana Liufau teaching Tahitian dance.

No comments: