Tuesday, April 25, 2006

When Bad Friends Happen To Good People

Big Fun Weekend in Cowtown Countdown: 2 days!!!

I recently subscribed to a new magazine called Radiant. It is the little sister to Relevant magazine and it is so brand new that the issue pictured here is the only one yet in existence. I get the Radiant e-newsletters and the one today was so timely considering the little friendship mess I've whipped up for myself that you could almost call it a God Thing. I say that very tongue-in-cheek as of course it is a God Thing. The newsletter had an article called The Fight For Friendship by Kristin Markham, and here's the key paragraph:

This brought to mind a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson: The only way to have a friend is to be one, and I realized that there was only one thing in this situation that I could absolutely control: me. My griping and complaining had accomplished absolutely nothing, except to possibly make me an irritating person to be around. So instead of focusing on why my friends were letting me down, I decided to learn how to be a good friend myself.

Thank you, Ms. Markham, for kicking my butt. I have a million things to do tonight (mainly to get ready for Texas) but apologizing to the friend I have hurt has got to be number one.

Sarah, in answer to your e-mailed question, the translation (or paraphrase, to be accurate) I used yesterday was again The Message.

ICE CREAM ALERT: Today, from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., you can walk into any Ben & Jerry's store and get a free scoop of ice cream. The day is waning here in the Midwest, but Kel, you have 4 more hours to get there. Don't let us down. Oh wait, you're on a media fast. I'd send you a text message but you aren't supposed to do that either. Can you read text messages but just not send them or are you not even checking your inbox?

No comments: