Friday, June 16, 2006

Hawaii Day 2 & 3

So, I promised a post everyday, but it is hard to find the time. The business center at the hotel has very limited hours and we are gone doing hula stuff for most of them. Plus, the other day when I tried to post, I got halfway through and my session timed out. I didn't have time to start over. Here's a quick rundown of the past two days.

Wednesday: Several of us got up early and had prayer on the beach. When we finished and turned around, there was a rainbow over the ocean. Very beautiful. I went on a Starbucks run after that and stopped in front of the Duke Kahanamoku statue and waved at my dad (there is a live webcam on it at all times). After that, we all met Kumu Rich and a few of his students in the lobby and we set off on our day. I actually got to ride in Kumu's car and it was really cool to chat with the Hawaiians. We went to a heiau (sacred place, sort of like a temple but there is no actual building) for a blessing and we spent several hours there learning to chant. In the afternoon, I took the bus up to Punchbowl where there is a national cemetery and I visited Sailor Jerry's grave (the tattoo enthusiast's out there will know who I'm talking about). I took the bus back to Honolulu and spent a couple of hours in the Hawaii section at Borders. I kind of thought the employees there would think it was cool to meet a fellow bookseller from St. Louis but they didn't seem to care. They probably see a lot of employees from all over the country.

Thursday: Yesterday we all caravaned around the windward side of the island to several destinations. First, we went to Blowhole to practice chanting over the sound of the ocean and wind. Then, we went to Uncle Clifford's house to pick our own ti leaves from the plants in his yard. Then, we went into the forest to pick a type of fern. For some reason, that part was the most interesting to me. After that, we went to a botanical park to learn to make the specific kind of ti leaf leis that Kumu Rich's halau uses. I don't think I had fully adjusted to the time - I had been headachy since I got here and I suspect I may be allergic to something as well - so I slept yesterday from about 6 p.m. to 5:30 this morning. I hated to waste the evening, but I feel so much better today.

Okay, I'd love to write in a bit more detail but I have to be downstairs in 3 minutes. We have one more day of instruction with Kumu today.

1 comment:

Sars said...

Jo, your trip sounds fabulous, but exhausting! I can't wait to see pictures. One question, though, chanting?? What's that all about anyway? I'm sure it has some deep hula meaning, but it just sounds strange to me. :) You would make a borders stop while on an exotic vacation. Hope the rest of the trip goes great and travel is smooth. Miss ya'.