Thursday, May 31, 2007

Too Much Time and Free Internet

These two things are a bad combination for me. I'm only working 20 hours a week this summer and the TV schedule is looking pretty bad (National Bingo Night??- I'm not that desperate!) and I magically have free internet. So I'm finding myself wasting a lot of time looking up dumb stuff. Like this. But, it's not all bad. That particular article taught me a new word: callipygian. Now, I think this might be an attempt by a reporter who spent years training and writing to be a "serious journalist" and now they are stuck doing puff pieces for "entertainment scoop" to amuse herself by throwing in large words as a "ha, ha, I'm smarter than you are." When I looked up the definition of this word I have to admit I was impressed. First of all, I am impressed with the reporter because that creates a spectacular pun with a comment four paragraphs earlier, and second of all, I am very impressed with the English language. The fact that we have a word that describes something like this, with this specificity, I mean who wouldn't be impressed?! Yes, I am a nerd. A nerd with too much time on her hands.

No comments: