Friday, July 06, 2007

Apartment Living

Overall, I love the ease of living in an apartment. Something breaks - I call my landlord. No lawns to mow, no repairs to make. But there are definite disadvantages. Like getting our new couch home only to discover that it doesn't fit through the front door. So discouraging. That's all I can say about it right now - the feelings are too raw. Thanks to Jon, Jeff, and Carlos for all the work they did to try to get it in, though.

Still, there are good things about our little community. A professional fireworks display on the 4th of July is one of them. We set up our chairs right outside our front door and enjoyed a show that could rival the local city displays.
Funny little story about the chairs. The morning of the 4th, my dad and I were working on cleaning things out of my grandparents' condo to move to our apartment. I noticed a pair of camp chairs in the back of my mom's van - really cute ones with a Hawaiian print. I didn't think anything of them. I thought they were hers and that she was just keeping them in the van for convenience. That night when she showed up for the fireworks, I met her at her van to remind her to pull her chairs out so she would have a place to sit as we were short one chair. She said, "What chairs?," and acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. So I said, "You know, the orange Hawaiian-print camp chairs in the back of your van." She got this funny look on her face and then proceeded to tell me how she had gotten those for me and Jon and I wasn't supposed to see them yet because she was going to give them to me at my shower. Whoops!!! She went ahead and gave them to us that night and they were very comfortable. Thanks, Mom!

No comments: