Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Jumping the Shark


I thought the term was ubiquitous but since I've had several questions as to what my last post was about I thought I'd provide a primer.

From wikipedia:

Jumping the shark is a colloquialism coined by Jon Hein and used by TV critics and fans to denote that point in a TV show or movie series' history where the plot veers off into absurd story lines or out-of-the-ordinary characterizations, particularly for a show with falling ratings apparently becoming more desperate to draw viewers in. In the process of undergoing these changes, the TV or movie series loses its original appeal. Shows that have "jumped the shark" are typically deemed to have passed their peak.

So to give an example, many people think that Moonlighting jumped the shark when Maddie and David finally hooked up. And Jon and I just had a discussion about at what point The Cosby Show jumped. He says it was when Olivia was added - I say it was the addition of Pam. The Jump The Shark website is no more but you can still get the book from Amazon. Hope that helps. What are you favorite, or most frustrating, jump the shark moments?

5 comments:

Sars said...

You forgot to mention the origin of this term, which is based on a Happy Days episode in which The Fonz is waterskiing and quite literally, jumps a shark. My life jumps the shark every single day.

I like Fridays said...

I don't know what that show is. but I do think that guy in the middle with the long-sleeved ringer tee looks a little like Jon.

I didn't know what "jumping the shark" was...but now I do. thanks.

I think you should post a seattle blog post and save this blog from soley existing to celebrate birthdays and holidays...I'm just saying.

and I hope your elbow is better.

whoops said...

that is not a long sleeved ringer tee...but a brown sweater with a red shirt underneath...that guy. him. jon.

Jo said...

Jon's going to love that you think he looks like the homeliest guy on the show.

jon is kenny? said...

I still like the show, thank you. You better hope TBS execs don't read your blog and cancel the show. You're probbly responsible for the demise of Ed and Freaks and Geeks. Some shows should just never end. I'm pretty sure Jon would still watch the original 90210 if it was still on. And no, My Boys is not a girly show. How great is a show where it is perfectly acceptable to have adult beverages AT ALL TIMES. I think if any of my friends drank that much (after age 23) an intervention would be in order.