Tuesday, June 26, 2007

After All These Years

I'm 30 now. The 70s, 80s and 90s have all passed by, as hallmarked by multiple VH1 specials. Time goes by, our tastes change. I cringe when I look back at my permed hair and pretty much all of my clothes from those decades. Some things, however, have withstood the test of time and remained part of my personal history (in a good way.) Here are the things I ought to be ashamed to admit that I still love:

1) Michael W. Smith. I suppose the fact that I listened to MWS for a minimum of 2 hours a day for the better part of 10 years would explain the fact that something inside me melts whenever I hear his raspy voice. He gets me every time, every dang time.

2) Boy Meets World. Just finished watching a very special episode where Shawn has nowhere to live and moves in with Cory. It made me cry. Now that is great television. (Side note: I just saw Mr. Feeny as a CIA agent on an episode of The Closer.)

3) Butter and sugar. I should have outgrown the overwhelming desire to stick my finger in the butter dish or down a few sugar packets by now. You'd think having kids would make me want to be a better role model, but all I can think is, "Hey, Soph, pass the butter. . ."

4) Power ballads. What better way to express your tortured love for someone than to belt it out in your best man-scream?

5) My blankie. (That's not mine in the picture, but I was too lazy to get up and take a picture.) Those of you who know me know that I am definitely not kidding on this one. And we're flying to Wisconsin this year, so I won't be able to take it with me. (Sniff.)

6) Pop Rocks. They are still really, really fun to eat. And they still mystify me as to how they work their magic! And don't eat them while drinking coke . . .

7) Clueless. One of the greatest movies of all time. (I've linked you to the script so you can study its genius in detail.)

8) Ricky (Rick) Shroder. He made this season of 24. Yeah, he looks older than when he was on Silver Spoons, but he's still so cute.

9) Pink everything. I've got pink shoes, pink shirts, pink pants, pink purses and a pink camera case. It's like I'm 14 years old again. But it's just such a happy color.

10) This Present Darkness/Piercing the Darkness. I read each book 5 times in the span of 3 months. I haven't read them since, but based on the fact that they were what held me together during a very tough time in my 13 year-old life, I'm pretty sure I'd still love them.

I've bared my soul, now it's your turn. Can you think of anything you still really, really love that you ought to have outgrown?

2 comments:

kel said...

Great walk down memory lane. I just saw Topanga on a Nutri System commercial. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Anonymous said...

Lots to think about here, great imagery